The girls celebrated Founders’ Day on the 21st October. Founders Day is celebrated annually in remembrance of Manor House School founders Miss Elizabeth Green and Miss Lillian Wheeler.
Manor House School first originated in Devon 95 years ago by Miss Green and Miss Wheeler. In 1929, they decided to move to Surrey as Devon was too far for London families to travel to.
In 1936, the school moved from rented premises in Mickleham to the whitewashed columned Manor House School grounds. Miss Green and Miss Wheeler became joint headmistresses to fifty girls and three boys. They built the Arcot wing in 1937, just two months after moving in.
Miss Wheeler died suddenly in 1939. Miss Green retired in 1965 and moved to Meadow Cottage which was built for her in the grounds. She died on 8th October 1978 and is buried in Little Bookham church next to Miss Wheeler.
Miss Wheeler and Miss Green are remembered every year by the girls on Founders’ Day. There is a yearly service held in remembrance and flowers are laid at the graves of both ladies. Traditionally, the girls are served sticky buns to celebrate our School’s Founders.
Click here to learn more about Founders’ Day and the history of Manor House School.