Our Head Girl and members of the prefect team accompanied by Mrs. Stephens went to St James’ Palace, London to help sort clothing donated to the Queen Mother’s Clothing Guild.
The QMCG was formed in 1882 by Lady Wolverton. She was asked by the Matron of an orphanage to provide socks and jerseys for the children. This led to the formation of Lady Wolverton and friends knitting garments for the orphanage and any other charities in need of clothing.
Over the last 125 years, the Guild has gone from knitting a few items each year to distributing thousands of items of clothing. Last year, the Guild provided over 25,000 items of new clothing for men, women and children for local UK charities.
Manor House School is one of the few schools that continues to support the Queen Mother’s Clothing Guild. We have been donating clothes to the QMCG for many years.
The girls had a wonderful day in London, browsing the shop windows and having tea in Fortnum and Mason’s (as per tradition!)
Thank you to all our girls and parents for the generous donations of over 500 items for this worthy cause.