Manor House School began as two small classes run by Miss Green and Miss Wheeler in Sidmouth, Devon in 1920. They joined forces and “The Beehive” was born. By 1929 the ladies decided to move to Surrey as they wished to branch out into boarding and it was felt that Devon was too far for London families to travel. For seven years they rented Mickleham Hall in Dorking but in 1937 the school moved to Little Bookham after Miss Green purchased the Manor House at auction. Manor House School has been settled here ever since.
The Queen Anne house was built in 1710 but had been empty for some time when the school moved in. A new wing, Arcot hall, was added and the gardens were tamed. In 1939 Miss Wheeler died suddenly and Miss Green carried on as sole headmistress until 1956. There was an offer to relocate to New England during the war years but Miss Green and her girls remained resolute, growing their own vegetables in the gardens.
Since then the school has expanded its buildings, adding Mason block, the Nursery and main block and in 1961 became an educational trust. Miss Green retired to Meadow Cottage in the grounds in 1965 and remained an interested observer until her death in 1978.
Although Manor House no longer has boarders, numbers have grown steadily over the years. It has retained its friendly, relaxed feel and the girls are the embodiment of its motto “To Love is to Live”.